Water sources are all around us, but it is up to us which one to use. Most people choose the water provided by the city, but there are many people who choose their own source. Shallow wells are quite common, and exploiting them is something that people do nowadays. Unless the well is near a disposal site, the water can be used for many things, from irrigating your garden to using it in your home.
In order to take advantage of a shallowwell, you need the proper equipment. In this case, you need a shallow well pump. However, choosing the right one may not be as easy as you may think. Most people do not know a thing about them, which is why it is my desire to tell you everything you need to know and help you choose the best shallow well pump in your price range.
Why not a submersible pump?
You may all have heard about submersible pumps, and you may be wondering why chose a shallow well pump instead. The answer is simple. You may not need a submersible pump. It is called a shallow well pump because it does not need to go very deep. A submersible pump is necessary when your well is at least 90 feet deep, while a shallow well pump can go 25 feet deep or lower. So why would you spend more money on something you do not need? It is true that a submersible pump is more durable and generates more water, but you do not need one for 25 feetof water. In shallow waters, a shallow well pump is a practical way to go.
The advantages of shallow well pumps
As previously mentioned, there is a big difference between a submersible pump and a shallow well pump, but what exactly are the advantages of using the latter? Here are a few:
- You can use it in a shallow well, obviously. Most of them can be used in 25 feet of water, but you can buy one with adjustable settings, which will come in handy when the depth of the water is variable.
- It can maintain the water pressure. The secret lies with the installation. All you need is to set the right psi, and you will get optimum performance. The new models have adjustable settings when it comes to pressure so that you can keep it up at all times.
- It is easier to install, and in case of damage, repairing it is simple and does not require much effort. Also, shallow well pumps are more common than submersible pumps. At the same time, they are cheaper. You can find a high-quality model with somewhere around 200$.
- The right model will come with a pressure booster, which means more water for your home or garden.
- You can choose from a vast variety of shallow well pumps. Each model comes with a certain number of gallons per hour (minute,) and you just choose the right one for your needs.
- Even if it is cheap, the quality is good, and it does not require much maintenance.
- Most of the shallow well pumps you see on the market, especially the new models, have built-in safety features, which is always welcome.
How to choose the best shallow well pump?
Now that you know the advantages of owning a shallow well pump, I am going to teach you how to choose the best one. It is not a difficult task, but you do need to pay some attention to details. Also, you need to establish some criteria that make a particular model the best choice for you and your needs. Here is what you need to take into consideration.
- The first thing you want to do is check the depth of your well. That is how you decide if you need a submersible pump or a shallow well pump. The ideal depth for a shallow well pump is somewhere around 25 feet. However, some models may be designed for deeper or higher levels of water, so make sure to check the product’s specifications before you make a purchase.
- Make sure that the pump can handle the size of your house (or whatever else you may be using the water pump for.) So, if you are using the pump for your house, the easier way to know the right pump is to count how many fixtures you have in your home. So let’s say you have five fixtures, each of them requiring one gallon per minute. Take 5 and multiply it by 60. That means you will need a shallow well pump that can handle 300 gallons per hour. That is if the product of your choice is using gallons per hour. Not all of them do.
- Keep in mind that you need to consider the water source as well. Not all shallow well pumps are built to handle vertical lift. That means you need to make sure that the model you use is made to handle vertical lift, just in case you are using water somewhere above the ground level, like for a multi-level house or building. For more vertical lift, you need a powerful pump. For example, if your house is at ground level, a ½ HP shallow well pump should suffice. You can also find pumps with ¾ HP.
- Safety issues are important, not only for youbut the integrity of the pump as well. New models come with all kinds of features like a pressure booster to enhance psi. Also, a thermal protection or an overload feature is also important to prevent damage to the pump.
- Additional features are sometimes useful. One good example is a foot valve which prevents the water from moving back out. Once you stop the water, it will stay in place. Pressure tanks are not a must, but if you like to have a steady water pressure, you should go for one.
So there you have it. With that information at hand, you should be able to make the right choice for you. My advice is to go for one of the best shallow well pumps you can afford. That way you will not have to replace it anytime soon.
What are the best shallow well pumps?
That is a question for the ages. People have different needs and price ranges, which is why it is my desire to make the task easier for you. Below you will find three of the best shallow well pumps you can find on the market. Their prices are affordable, and the quality cannot be questioned. Here they are.
Wayne SWS50 Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
The SWS50 from Wayne will meet the needs of any household. It is a high-quality product that will not disappoint. Everything is put together in the US, but some of the parts are manufactured abroad. However, do not let that discourage you from buying. It still meets the US standards.
As far as technicalities go, the SWS50 has a ½ HP motor. That means it can guarantee about 420 gallons of water per hour at 50 psi. That should be enough for any household. It can work with 120V but with 240V as well. However, the factory set is 240V. If you do not know anything about this, you should call a professional to install it. The company provides one if needed.
This model has a pressure switch that is preset at 30-50 psi, and it operates automatically. The product is high quality, and it has a durable cast iron volute which has a dedicated priming port for volute filling. The thermal protection ensures safety. It will prevent the motor from overheating. Thus the machine will not suffer any damage anytime soon. The SWS50 can be submerged in wells that are up to 25 feet in depth, and it can handle a 5-foot vertical lift. If your house needs more than that, I suggest you find another product. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Red Lion RJS-75-PREM 602207 Premium Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
The Red Lion model may be a bit more expensive than the previous one, but at the sametime,it provides more durability and more strength. This model was designed to handle homes that have large demands, like multi-story houses with many family members, cottages, and even farms. Since its design is reliable and durable, the manufacturer guarantees years and years of service. The product is made of rugged cast iron, and few materials can top that when it comes to shallow wells pumps.
As far as the voltage goes, the RJS-75-PREM 602207 model has a heavy-duty dual voltage motor, 115/230V, which has a capacitor able to increase its starting power. The pressure switch is factory set at 30/50 psi, and the pump can produce a maximum of 50 psi with automatic shut-off. Moreover, this product has a glass-filled thermoplastic impeller and diffuser which translates into optimal performance and maximum efficiency when it comes to water flow.
The Red Lion shallow well pump is perfect for wells with a depth of maximum 25 feet. It is a high-quality product that will make sure your water supply is as needed. Moreover, the model comes in three available options: the 1 HP, the ½ HP, and the ¾ HP. All you have to do is choose the right power for your needs. The manufacturer can provide installation, but it will cost you something extra. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Drummond 1 HP Stainless Steel Shallow Well Pump
If you are looking for something better than the other two models I presented above, then this is what you are looking for. It is not as expensive as the previous shallow water pump, but many people vouch for this one. The reasons are simple.
One of them is that it comes with a pressure tank. If you enjoy a nice water pressure, then this is what you want. The pressure tank will make sure that your water is at your disposal right when you turn on the fixture. The tank has a capacity of 5 gallons and is made of hardened steel alloy. As long as you maintain it properly, you should not have any issues with it. Maintenance is nothing more than pumping some air once in a few years to stabilize the pressure, or air the tank. The housing and volute are made of highly durable stainless steel, for years of use.
The flow provided by this model is 950 gallons per hour. It is ideal for a large house, farm, gardens, and much more. The vertical lift is excellent. The Drummond can lift the water as high as 115.5 feet from a well that is only 26 feet deep. The water pressure can reach a maximum of 50 psi. The thermal protection will prevent the pump from overheating, and the reset is automatic. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Although The Drummond model is larger and heavier than the other two models, it is not like you have to carry it anywhere. It has a pressure tank for better pressure (which I cannot do without), maintenance is simple, and it does not cost very much. Also, models such as this one last for years. That is why I believe that the Drummond is one of the best shallow well pumps for this price range.
Managing you own water source may not be an easy task. Sometimes maybe it is better if you just connect to the city’s water supply and be done with it. However, people who have no choice or people who want to save money in the long run will always buy themselves a shallow well pump. Why? Because digging for a well deeper than 25-30 feet is pointless unless you need to supply an office building. A shallow well is more than enough, and you have to take the water out somehow, don’t you? Click here to buy on Amazon
- Unanswered Issues With Shallow Well Jet Pump Revealed
- Jet Pump – the Conspriracy
- Purchasing Deep Well Jet Pump
- The Definitive Handbook to Well Water Pump
- An Actionable Tutorial on Deep Well Pump in Simple Step by Step Order
- Warning Signs on Shallow Well Pump You Must Know About
- Well Pump Ideas
- What You Don’t Know About Myers Jet Pump May Surprise You
- Uncommon Article Gives You the Facts on Shallow Well Pumps for Sale That Only a Few People Know Exist
- Definitions of Shallow Well Pump and Tank
- The Foolproof Deep Water Well Pump Strategy
- The 5-Minute Rule for Submersible Water Well Pump
- The Foolproof Submersible Deep Well Pump Strategy
- Deep Well Pump Installation: the Ultimate Convenience!
- The Basic Principles of Hand Pump for Well That You Can Learn From Beginning Right Away
- The Bad Side of Best Deep Well Pump
- Magical Solutions to Jet Well Pump Discovered
- Kids, Work and Submersible Well Water Pump
- The Debate Over Shallow Water Pump
- The Benefits of Best Submersible Well Pump
- The Importance of Deep Well Pumps for Sale
- above Ground Well Pump – a Quick Overview
- Shallow Well Fundamentals Explained
- Jet Pump Price Tips & Guide
- What You Don’t Know About Hand Pump Well Could Be Costing to More Than You Think
- Top Tips of Well Hand Pump
- What You Can Do About Jet Pump Well Beginning in the Next 6 Minutes
- The Jet Water Pump Game
- The Bad Side of Hand Water Well Pump
- The Bizarre Secret of Well Jet Pump
- What Does Shallow Well Water Pump Mean?
- If You Read Nothing Else Today, Read This Report on Shallow Well Hand Pump
- The Confidential Secrets of Well Pumps for Sale
- The True Story About Deep Well Water Pump That the Experts Don’t Want You to Hear
- A Guide to Goulds Well Pumps